Kirby Software Forum
November 20, 2017, 11:45:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Moved to new web hosting company

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 1973 times)
RockFox

« on: February 22, 2013, 07:33:22 PM »

I have been running 4.45 on Windows 8 Pro desktop without any problems.  I just applied the 5.01 update by unzipping the files and copied/replaced them into C:\Program Files\Kirby Alarm Pro.  (I had shutdown 4.45 first).

I clicked on the new kirbyalarmpro.exe and I got a message about "Unable to open UPG file... FIle Not Found"  I clicked the Ignore button and then there was a message that the Alarm.log could not be created.

So next I right clicked on kirbyalarmpro.exe and chose "Run As Administrator" and Kirby Alarm stated up without the messages.  But all of my alarms were missing.  Then I decided to reboot and Kirby Alarm started normally and all of my alarms were back.

Probably if I had rebooted right after installation I would have avoided these problems.

But now I had a new problem -- Internet Explorer 10 would not start when I clicked on its desktop taskbar icon.  So i tried clicking on the Windows 8 Start tile for IE and it came up fine.  I then went back to the desktop and the taskbar icon was now working.  I have no idea what this behavior was all about but everything is fine now.

/RockFox at Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania USA
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 02:33:12 AM »

Thanks for the feedback on windows 8 an dam glad you managed to get it going again.
I do not have windows 8 so am only guessing here..

Are your sure you unzipped v5.01 into the same folder where v4.45 was?

Vista and Windows 7 create a separate "program files" folder for each user which really complicates things.
So your files would be in something like C:\Users\<my user profile>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\kapro
I am guessing windows 8 would be the same.

Are you sure you are running v5.01?

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback. I am sure this could help someone else out there.

Ian  Smiley
RockFox

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 09:11:37 AM »

You are correct in that I was still running 4.45 and the files are in C:\Program Files\Kirby Alarm Pro\  There is not a separate "Program Files" for each user, at least on my system and my previous Windows 7.

I think what happened is that I did not have permission to copy the 5.01 files into the folder with the 4.45 files. I have redone the copy of the 5.01 files into  C:\Program Files\Kirby Alarm Pro\ and rebooted immediately.  When the system came up KA converted two files.

Then I got this message in a purple banner: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/windows-8-smartscreen-warning.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.extremetech.com/computing/140302-how-to-close-windows-8-apps-and-how-to-disable-smartscreen&h=787&w=1000&sz=150&tbnid=8agoraXPg-z-JM:&tbnh=91&tbnw=115&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dwindows%2B8%2Bsmartscreen%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=windows+8+smartscreen&usg=__JmFguIirhos-UJZaNnQqyA1xD_U=&docid=ZoykgeFYPQUfUM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=pmQoUd2zJubq0AGnsYCwBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CE4Q9QEwBQ&dur=452  .  I clicked on the More Options button then click on Run Anyway.  I suggest you do a Google search on "Microsoft SmartScreen"

I am positive I am now running 5.01.  I confirmed it by clicking:   Help => About ... 

/RockFox at Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania USA
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: