Kirby Software Forum
January 23, 2018, 03:32:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Moved to new web hosting company

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pop up note windows become corrupted  (Read 5137 times)
oldlat99

« on: August 08, 2011, 07:15:20 PM »

I'm a long time user of Kirby Alarm, currently on V4.45 LITE. For a couple of years now I've had a problem, first on Vista and for the last 18 months or so, on Windows 7 (32 bit) with Kirby Alarm's pop up notes. I've been putting up with it, but it happens so frequently now that I'm driven to ask for a resolution, as the program has always done exactly what I need, but I can't continue to kill and restart it at the rate I'm having to do!

I have lots of alarms set, that go off at various times during the day, repeating on various daily or weekly intervals - it's my main reminder facility. I have each set to display a pop up note with a message. Every day my PC auto-boots at 7am and is up all day, with Kirby alarm automatically started (not as a service, it's just in the Startup folder). What happens every day, at some point, without exception, is that instead of the pop up windows displaying normally, they begin to appear with no title bar and no borders, and the click-sensitive areas for the buttons displaced - basically they are corrupted. When this happens, kirbyalarmpro.exe begins to consume all available CPU (as shown by task manager). I have to stop it and restart, after which it works fine again for an unpredictable amount of time, then does the same thing again. It might be minutes, or hours - there seems no way of telling when it will go wrong again. Sometimes the application will respond to right clicking on the tray icon and selecting 'exit', but more often than not it freezes and I have to use task manager to kill the process. This never happened on Windows XP, it began when I migrated to Vista, and has continued with Windows 7. I have been tempted at times to suspect the ATI video driver, but no other service or program that I run has ever displayed a similar problem - it only affects Kirby Alarm, so I honestly dont see how it can be the video driver - I keep the driver software up to date using the AMD download site. Have you or anyone else on this forum seen this problem with Windows 7 Ian?   Is there a later version I can try?

Mike Ball
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 01:01:02 AM »

Hi Mike

I use windows 7 64 bit with dual monitors and have never encountered the kind of problem you are having.
You say the CPU usage is all consumed.

I wonder if the data file(s) has become corrupted.
If you send me the TPS files located in the KA folder I will reindex them and send them back to you.

Kind regards
Ian Cook
www.kirbyfooty.com
oldlat99

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 04:38:23 PM »

Theres a lot of TPS files Ian - I make it 15 in all - you want all of them?

Regards, Mike
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 04:40:17 PM »

All 15 would be good please. They should not be very big.
That way I can set up a test environment to see if it happens on my computer.

Ian  Smiley

oldlat99

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 04:41:32 PM »

OK sir, I'll email them to you - I have your address from when we conversed in the past.
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 04:42:22 PM »

Thanks.
I am off to bed now (It's 10:45pm)
Speak soon.
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 12:35:34 AM »

I could not find any problem with the original file and the test on my machine ran ok.

However I noticed there were a lot of really old alarms.

This is what I have done..
(1) Changed the setting in KA preferences to automatically purge completed alarms. This reduced the file size dramatically.
(2) Some of the pop up notes were really huge. I resized them to a smaller size thinking this may be the problem (I don't really know..)
(3) Reindexed the file again.

Can you please try it your self now.
Do this by ..
(1) Make a backup of you current KA folder.
(2) Exit KA
(3) Copy the attached file (check your email) ALARMS.TPS into the KA folder
(4) Restart KA

Beyond that I do not know what else to try and think the problem may be related to your hardware (??)

Ian  Smiley
oldlat99

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 12:17:53 PM »

OK thanks Ian.  I've done as you say, I have changed the auto-purge period to 7 days, and replaced the alarm.tps file with the one you supplied (after first stopping KA), and then restarted it. We will see if fixes the problem.

One thing, regarding point 2) in your observations, regarding some of the pop up windows being really huge. Yes, thats true, but they don't start off that way! One thing thats happened with KA since Vista is that the pop up windows change size over time, gradually getting bigger and bigger unless I resize them.  I have a feeling I'm not the first person to notice this, I'm sure I found another forum post some time back describing this (question is, can I find it again!).  I also have a feeling that this is related to my problem, in that windows changing size is similar to windows being corrupted with borders or title bars, especially if they reach a size where a parameter goes 'out of range'.

Mike
oldlat99

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 08:29:17 PM »

Didnt fix it Ian.  Today I came back home after being out for a while and found a pop up window with no title bar or borders. The machine booted at 7am and a pop up worked ok earlier this morning. The problem is with KA, for certain, I simply don't have any problem of this nature with anything else on my machine - and I run plenty of stuff!

Regards,
Mike
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 02:30:49 AM »

Hmm, this is a mystery for me as I am unable to replicate the problem on my machine, and no one else has mentioned this kind of problem.

There is an update to KA you could try.
You can download the update from http://www.kirbyfooty.com/kirby_alarm_pro_update_v4.48b.zip
Just unzip it to your KA folder.
(Don't forget to exit KA first or windows will complain the file is in use)
As I said it runs perfectly on windows 7 64 bit machine.

After that though I am sorry, but I do not not know what else to do.

Ian

oldlat99

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 10:59:45 AM »

Smiley Thanks Ian, I'll try 4.48 and let you know what happens..
oldlat99

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 06:23:28 PM »

Well, so far, running V4.48 I've not seen the corrupt pop up windows - I've been running it since the day after the last forum post above. This looks promising Ian. Give it a bit longer ....
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 12:01:08 AM »

That is good news. Thanks very much for the update.

Ian  Smiley
oldlat99

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 11:59:03 AM »

Grin

Well Ian, looks like 4.48 has fixed the pop up note window corruption problem. It hasn't occurred again since I first installed the new level. So obviously something that changed in V4.48 fixed the bug. Think I read in the release notes something about 4.48 using a later level of some API library, is that right?

Rgds,
Mike
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 12:04:54 PM »

Very good. Thanks for the feedback  Grin

With regard to the API, templates in the clarion version had been changed to fix problems with the shutdown, reboot functions.
I don't think they would have anything to do with it, but you never know...

The important thing is it is fixed..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: