Kirby Software Forum
January 21, 2018, 02:56:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Moved to new web hosting company

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using KA to Shutdown PC After Period of Inactivity - Can It Be Done?  (Read 2067 times)
CDobbert

« on: March 07, 2010, 04:50:26 PM »

Some of my family members refuse to turn our PC off when finished using it.  Using the windows "Hibernate" or "Standby" power options is not my preferred choice for dealing with this problem.  Instead, I would like to use the KA Shutdown Alarm feature to turn turn the PC off after a period of inactivity.  Even though I have been a long-time user of KA, I haven't yet figured out how to use the watchfile condition to shutdown the PC after each and every period of usage.  This is because the PC applications being used vary from one family member to another.  Is there any way to us the KA shutdown feature to solve this problem?  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 12:21:21 AM »

Hi

Kirby Alarm can certainly shutdown you computer, but the problem is detecting the inactivity.
I'm sorry, but at the moment it cannot detect inactivity..

The only suggeston I have is to get KA to shutdown the computer each night at a pre set time (eg 11pm).

On another topic. I am in the process of releasing a new version of KA.
The new version is mainly to overcome problems with the shutdown, retstart, logoff functions with KA on windows 7.
It also includes a new option to update the program a lot easier the way a lot of the more modern programs do.

If you are interested you can download it from http://www.kirbyfooty.com/kirby_alarm_pro_update_v4.47.zip

To install it..
(1) Exit Kirby Alarm
(2) MAKE A BACKUP of your current kirby alarm folder
(3) Unzip the update into the SAME folder where Kirby Alarm is currently installed (making sure that you override the files)
(4) Restart kirby alarm

Let me know if you have any problems.

Ian  Smiley
CDobbert

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 06:55:25 PM »

Thanks, Ian.  Your speedy reply is much appreciated.  I will try your suggestion as a way to deal with this issue for the present.  However, I am hopeful that sometime in the near future you will be able to develop a more appropriate solution to this problem.

Separate Subject:  Thanks for the heads-up on your next updated release of KA Pro.  Although I am not presently a Windows 7 user, I will certainly be giving it a try on my existing Windows XP platform.

Again, my thanks for your assistance.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: