Kirby Software Forum
January 18, 2018, 09:44:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Moved to new web hosting company

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Regular transfer of alarms from one computer to another  (Read 2413 times)
Charlie387

« on: November 24, 2009, 05:13:12 PM »

My use of Kirby Alarm Pro calls for me to develop alarms on one computer and regularly transfer them to different computer. So far, I have not been able to make even one successful transfer.

In this forum, I found some ideas about transferring .tps files. And in the KAP help, I found the list of the files that KAP uses. I've tried copying all the .tps and .ini files to a flashdrive and then copying those files into the target computer's Kirby Alarm Pro folder, overwriting the existing ones. This didn't work; no alarms from the source computer showed up when I activated KAP on the target computer.

I don't need an automated way of doing this transfer, although this would be nice. Once established, the transfer would be maybe once a month.

'Backup' would probably help, but I can't find a way to restore from a backup, except manually. I could write small batch files, one for the source and one for the target computer.

What is the best way to do this transfer? What is ANY way to do this? Am I missing some fundamental thing?

Computer #1: Vista 64 Home Premium
Computer #2: XP Pro

Since KAP default installs in different folders on the two computers, I've moved the whole Kirby Alarm Pro folder on Computer #2 to a same-named folder as on Computer #1: c:\program files (x86). KAP starts fine - with no alarms.

Help, please. Thanks!

...Charlie
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 12:41:57 AM »

Hi Charlie

Vista has a funny way of handling the "program files" folder.
A separate programs files folder is created for each user.
This can make it VERY confusing when you copy files around.
My guess is that you maybe accidentally copying the wrong files from your vista machine.

My suggestion would be to install KA to the root of your c: drive (ie c:\Kirby Alarm Pro)

When you do the copy of the data files (ie those that end in TPS. eg alarms.tps, alarmlog.tps) plase make sure that KA is not running on the destination computer. Otherwise windows will complain the file(s) is in use.

This is just a suggestion, but to try and automate the process a little, why not get KA on your source computer to email the TPS files to an email address that resides on the destination computer.
That way, once a month, you would get an email with the data files and it would act as a reminder to you to copy the files to the destination computer.

I hope that helps. If not please just let me know.

Kind regards
Ian Cook
www.kirbyfooty.com
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 03:11:52 AM by Ian Cook » Logged
Charlie387

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 09:37:38 PM »

Ian, I found that my problem was/is the Virtual Store feature of Vista 64.

I did as you suggested and reinstalled KAP to the c:\root. Installation went fine. I tried to copy the .tps files from the old location to the new - and met with the same 'did not take' failure.

When I copied the .tps files from the Virtual Store rather than the "c:program files (86) Kirby Alarm Pro" folder, I was able to transfer alarms (etc) with no trouble. Success!

Virtual Store will require more study before I understand how it works. And how to work around or with it. This Virtual Store, at first look, seems to be a security feature that is in place for 32-bit applications, to prevent them from damaging anything Vista deems vital.

I think the e-mail files (from the Virtual Store!) would work fine. I'd been thinking about using a flash drive: set up a batch file to be run whenever I make a change in the alarms, and have it copy the .tps files to a flash drive which I'd carry to the destination computer for installation.

Also in my thinking is to do some sort of remote control from home source computer to destination computer. Perhaps something like LogMeIn. Doing this would let me directly access KAP and modify the alarms. Another thing to study - sometime.

Charlie
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 12:14:41 AM »

Hi Charlie

I'm glad you got it sorted out!

Regarding the remote access, I use a program called Teamviewer.
It is simply fantastic! It allows file transfers (I don't know if Logmein allows file transfers)
The new beta v5 of Teamviewer even allows voice over interent and video!

It's really a cool thing and might also be valuable for you. It is free for personal use and very secure.
Check out http://www.teamviewer.com and click on the green "download now" button.

Ian  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: