Kirby Software Forum
January 18, 2018, 09:39:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Moved to new web hosting company

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Knock Out Competition  (Read 4287 times)
Ian Cook
Administrator

« on: May 08, 2009, 12:26:41 AM »

I got this suggestion from Kate...

I am just wondering if it?s possible to develop part of the tipping program to do a sort of ?side tipping comp? where each player has to pick one team each week that they think will win, and if they do they continue to be in the competition, if not then they drop out. The catch is that you have to use all the teams up once before being allowed to pick a team you?ve previously picked. We used to do this as a sideline to our regular staff competition at a school I taught at.? It was a lot of fun and kept people on their toes.? I?m not sure how you could do it, but it would be great if you could!

EG? Jenny picks Hawthorn over Fremantle, Jack picks Carlton over Collingwood, Fred picks Collingwood over Carlton and Frida picks Sydney over Adelaide.

The teams that won were Fremantle, Carlton and Sydney, so Jenny and Fred would drop out, and Jack and Frida would continue the next week.

Cheers

Kate

I think having a knock out competition is a great idea.

I would be interested if this is how most people run their knock out comp?

Ian

Phil Johnson

Smile - it confuses people!

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 07:34:07 AM »

Hi Ian

We used to run a knockout comp in conjunction with the standard tipping at a previous employer.

What we did was chanrge $44 ($2/round) for the standard comp, Then a $5 knockout fee.

Everyone in the knockout (which wasnt compulsory) had to slect one team each week as their "stand out" team, together with a points margin. We would then work therough the weeks until only one person was left (with the points margin being used to adjuictae in the event that the final two both picked the same and got it wrong!), and they would collect the prize pool.

We would then start the process all over again (some years we managed 2 or 3 of these in a season.

Hope that helps.

Phil
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 07:44:12 AM »

Hi Phil

When you say ..
Everyone in the knockout (which wasnt compulsory) had to slect one team each week as their "stand out" team,

Were there any restrictions on which team they could pick, or could they pick the same team.
If they could pick the same team again and again, I can imagine the knockout comp would take a long time because everyone would just be tipping the strongest team each week.

Am I missing something?

Ian Smiley

Phil Johnson

Smile - it confuses people!

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 06:29:14 AM »

Hi Ian

I was trying to think of that when I replied.

I think what we did was you couldnt pick the same winnnig team in consecutive weeks, OR against the same losing team.

For example (and apologies to any Demons fans!) If Gellong played Melobourne and won, and you picked Gellong, you stay in.

The next week however, you couldnt pick Geelong OR the team that is playing Melbourne.

This just stopped people only picking team # 1 or always picking the team polaying #16

Does that help?

Cheers

Phil
Deejaypee

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 01:40:20 PM »

I agree this would be good to run as a concurrent competition.
I have seen it run with the rule that you can only tip each team once and you get knocked out if you get one wrong. In this way it becomes a very strategic comp.
Last tipper standing wins.
You could set it to start in Round 8 so that if someone got all 17 right it would finish on the final round.

Darren
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 01:22:38 AM »

A number of people have asked for this over the years.
It has always gone into the too hard basket simply because it requires a lot of time for me to make the change.
I am also a little scared of all the different rules people can have regarding who can pick what etc.

One day, when I am inspired, it will be done..
Waughpath

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 08:30:32 AM »

In my one we have, last man standing. Each week you pick one team say Geelong. If Geelong win you stay in, if they draw or lose your out. But you can't tip Geelong for the rest of the season. Last year we included can't tip against gold coast.!! My tipsters love it!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: