Kirby Software Forum
March 21, 2018, 04:50:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Moved to new web hosting company
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Awarding points for picking a win based on the odds  (Read 2385 times)
Ian Cook

« on: February 04, 2009, 11:50:31 AM »

I received this idea from Jason today.

His idea does sound pretty good and has my creative little brain cells buzzing on how it could be done.

I reckon I could do it, but it's going to take quite a bit of work.

I would be interested in what others thought!

As you know, footy tipping has no real science to it.? On any given game you have a 50% chance of getting it right.? So in saying this, a win gives you 1 point.? Most competitions end up with at the end of the year multiple people finishing on the same amount of points, which can be a bugger when dividing up the prize pool.

For the past three years, I have run my tipping competition using excell with a slight change to the way points are awarded utilizing the odds for each game published by Sportsbet in the Herald Sun each Friday.

For instance:
Lets say Geelong is paying 1.07 for a win whereas 5.25 is on offer for Richmond.
Naturally given current recent form the obvious pick would be Geelong and if they win you would receive 1 point.? If you are a footy tragic and also barrack for Richmond (a bad combination) you would pick Richmond.? If Richmond win you would wear your undies on the outside for a week, thinking you just won the Premiership and also receive ? yep 1 point.

My system factors in the remote possibility that if you are brave enough to pick an underdog, then you get awarded for it should they win.? Hence a geelong win gives you 1.07 points.? A Richmond win gives you 5.25 points.

By utilizing this points system, it has made the competition much more exciting and the past two years it has gone down to the wire but more importantly, you end up with a clear cut 1st, 2nd & 3rd.

Would it be possible for you to integrate this system into your software package.

Obviously it would require the administrator to enter in the odds each week but I am sure that it would be a well received addition to your software.
Your thoughts?
Kind regards,

Ian Smiley
Pages: [1]
Jump to: