Kirby Software Forum
January 21, 2018, 06:30:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Moved to new web hosting company

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Few Suggestions  (Read 10477 times)
DocLotus

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 12:29:09 AM »

Last shoot.

* Screen Sizing at Win Startup - Locks up CPU.jpg (99.27 KB, 800x633 - viewed 310 times.)
DocLotus

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 12:37:19 AM »

IRRITATIONS…
WINDOW SIZE LOST.? Main window does not remember last size used when the computer is re-booted.

COLUMN WIDTH’s LOST.? Main window does not remember last column width’s used when the computer is re-booted.
This does not happen for me.
The column widths etc are stored in and ini file in the kirby alarm pro folder.
I wonder if something else is preventing the settings being written to the ini file.
Can you try something for me?? Resize the main window (both vertical and horizontal).? Reboot your computer.? Does Kirby come back up to the last size used?

Thanks;
Doc
DocLotus

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 12:45:44 AM »

COUNTDOWN TIMER’s.? Want to see the addition of Countdown Timers; I often have need for up to three countdown timers running at the same time.
This has been on my to do list for a while now.
When you get to this, can you also add one very important feature for the Countdown Timers?

I need to use up to three timers with the same start time but with various stop times.? What I am suggesting is a way to link timers so several can be started simultaneously; having to start several timers one by one causes a loss in overall project accuracy.

Thanks;
Doc
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 01:22:44 AM »

Hi Doc

Regarding the cpu freeze and SP3...

Very interesting. Thanks for that.
I am using SP2

I will upgrade to SP3 and see how it goes.

On Friday I plan to look at a few of the issues you have raised.
I hope we can get to the bottom of this.
It must be very frustrating for you.
I appreciate your patience and helpful advice.

Ian Smiley

* 1.jpg (17.77 KB, 416x227 - viewed 314 times.)
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 01:35:00 AM »

Can you try something for me?  Resize the main window (both vertical and horizontal).  Reboot your computer.  Does Kirby come back up to the last size used?
Oh dear, you are right.
I could have sworn this was working before.

Needless to say I will have another close look at it.

* before reboot.jpg (49.45 KB, 441x276 - viewed 325 times.)

* after reboot.jpg (88.99 KB, 500x438 - viewed 324 times.)
DocLotus

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 02:22:46 AM »

It must be very frustrating for you.
Not at all; I know you will take care of it.

I appreciate your patience and helpful advice.
I'm retired so I have the time to do this.

Also; you have a wonderful product that we can make even better.

Thanks for all of you effort;
Doc
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 09:30:43 AM »

Hi Doc

Regarding the cpu freeze and SP3...

Very interesting. Thanks for that.
I am using SP2

I will upgrade to SP3 and see how it goes.

After hours of trying, I finally managed to upgrade to SP3.
Fortunately (or unfortunately depending upon how you look at it) KA Pro continued to work ok.
ie could not replicate the cpu freezing that you mentioned earlier.

I am sorry, but why it freezes on your computer is still a mystery to me Sad

For the benefit of others, regarding upgrading to service pack 3..
I kept on getting an "Access is Denied" message.
In the end I found the answer at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
There are three methods suggested to overcome the error.
I tried them all and found the third method was the one that worked.

Ian Smiley

* sp3.jpg (17.63 KB, 406x240 - viewed 302 times.)

* sp3 and kapro.jpg (140.26 KB, 947x490 - viewed 309 times.)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 10:21:06 AM by Ian Cook » Logged
DocLotus

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 09:06:15 PM »

Good day, Ian;

I was lucky, I installed SP3 the day it came out and the install went OK.? It was not until a few days later that I started to read about the problems like your and others had with it.

One way to do it is to install SP3 in Win XP Safe Mode; this seems to work better for most users but mileage may vary depending on hardware.

The reason I suggested SP3 as a possible culprit for some of the KAP problems was that some users were finding that a few programs were broken by SP3. The business community had it worst as several financial and accounting programs were broken by SP3.? About one week after SP3 came out Microsoft pulled it from their download site to make some changes so it would not break the business apps.? They then put it back on the download site with a warning about some programs may still not run with it.

I personally had two 10 – 15 year old 16 bit programs left over from the Win 3.1 and Win 95 days that would not load or run under SP3.

One, a PC Magazine dual countdown timer called Time! Would neither load nor run.? Remember me asking you about a countdown timer feature added to KAP?? That is why.

The other one, Central Points PC Tools Scheduler was a real gem of a scheduler program; I had used it for over 15 years, until KAP I could find nothing to replace it.? The strange thing about this one was that under SP3 I could load and run Scheduler by double clicking directly on the exe file but it wound not load through a shortcut.? Doing a Google search on SP3 and 16 bit programs I found a lot of hits about SP3 not liking 16 bit programs.

So, SP3, especially the 16 bit problems are what brought me to KAP; must have been fate.

Doc

whugun
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 11:25:06 PM »

Dear DocLotus,

At least two or three posts of yours (one in which you describe where you have the problem, i.e., "Anniversary...Rick & Debi Bender", also "Records Jumping Around See the Coffee Front Office (it is currently highlighted)." and theone in which you write, "last shoot") contain some personal family information of my (Bender) family. I'm not sure why it needs to be posted online, nor how you happen have this information, unless you are related? Is that you, Rick's brother? (if so, greetings from Debi).

I would like for those various posts to be deleted or modified without our personal info publicly displayed, please - Debi Bender
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 12:03:44 AM by whugun » Logged
DocLotus

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2008, 12:07:09 AM »

Hi Debi;

Yeh; it's me from Houston; small world, huh?

So, how do you like Kirby Alarm Pro?

If you really want me to delete them I will, but it will detract from what I was trying to convey as some of them are merely screen captures showing the problem that I was having with Kirby at the time.? I had no way to remove family information from the screen capture without losing it in Kirby.? I guess I could have used Photoshop to black it out but that would have been a lot of work for something trivial.? I don’t care if anyone knows my birthday; it’s all over the web anyway.

Let me know,
Cheers;
Wendell
whugun
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 05:07:08 PM »

Hi Wendell,

Yep, the internet makes for a small world, doesn't it?

We don't have the Kirby Alarm Pro -- I had been doing a keyword search and came across one of the postings -- saw our names and birthdates, and was "alarmed" not knowing who had our family info on their computer. Who knows, with Rick is as much a techhie guy as you, he'll probably look into the software at some point! - You, Rick and Mark inherited some kind of electronics-savvy genes. Anway, it was sort of a shocker to see it all together like that from files on 'someone's' hard drive. Later, I figured it was probably you, edited the message to ask if it was you; then you posted a reply. Rick had to chuckle over it.

It's ok, leave your posts as is. After thinking about it, it's much less info than one would find on an online geneology forum or on various posts with my and other family members' names on them.

Looking forward to seeing you around Thanksgiving at Dad & Barbara's home!

I'll leave the forum, now and let you get back to the list discussions  Smiley

Kampai...
Debi
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 05:13:25 PM by whugnu » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: