Kirby Software Forum
January 21, 2018, 02:55:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Moved to new web hosting company

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A Few Suggestions  (Read 10474 times)
DocLotus

« on: June 08, 2008, 09:46:56 PM »

Kirby Alarm Pro

BUGS…
CPU FREEZE UP.? Major Bug… Clicking the mouse on the main Kirby screen causes the computer to freeze up as Kirby takes all available CPU cycles; it stays like this for one minute of more before freeing up the CPU.? If I do not first manually re-size the main Kirby window to include all records and get rid of the scroll bar the freeze up will happen every time I make a selection with the mouse.? This does not happen if I select a record using only the arrow keys.

LOSING WALLPAPER. Wallpaper is lost when Action is changed from Pop Up Note to any other Action checkbox; reselecting Pop Up Note does not return the wallpaper setting and the wallpaper has to be manually re found.? On the other hand, Play Sound (under Option) also removes the sound setting but it does correctly return when the Play Sound box is re-checked; Wallpaper needs to do the same.

HIGHLIGHT JUMPS AROUND.? ?Highlight any record on the main Kirby screen changes for no apparent reason when the highlighted record is opened by double-clicking on it and then closing the Modify Alarm screen with the Post button.? This does not happen if any other button (such as Cancel) is selected.? This is most annoying as the highlight jumps all over the place when I am making a lot of changes to individual records.

RECORDS JUMP AROUND.? Highlight any record on the main Kirby screen jumps all over the place for no apparent reason when the highlighted record is Tested.? The highlight does stay on the selected record but the whole record jumps around.? This is most annoying as the records are jumping all over the place when I am making a lot of changes and test to individual records.

IRRITATIONS…
WINDOW SIZE LOST.? Main window does not remember last size used when the computer is re-booted.

COLUMN WIDTH’s LOST.? Main window does not remember last column width’s used when the computer is re-booted.

NEW ADDITION REQUEST…
ADD ICONS and SMALL JPEG’s.? Want the use of icons and small JPEG’s (for general identification and people’s faces).? This is not to replace wallpaper but to be located in let’s say the top left corner of a pop up.

TURN OFF UNUSED COLUMNS.? Want to be able to turn off un-used columns on the main Kirby screen to save space (width).

ADD ADDITIONAL COLUMNS.? Want to be able to add additional columns on the main Kirby screen for more information about how each record is set up.

COUNTDOWN TIMER’s.? Want to see the addition of Countdown Timers; I often have need for up to three countdown timers running at the same time.

GLOBAL SETTINGS.? ?There needs to be a Global Settings tab for Preferences so the user can make most changes globally.? I have had to manually go through my list of 40 some reminders one by one to make the same changes to each.? This has happened way too many times.? More global settings would make these changes much easier and less time consuming.

Thanks;
Doc
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 01:39:14 AM »

Hi Doc,
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

BUGS?
CPU FREEZE UP.  Major Bug? Clicking the mouse on the main Kirby screen causes the computer to freeze up as Kirby takes all available CPU cycles; it stays like this for one minute of more before freeing up the CPU.  If I do not first manually re-size the main Kirby window to include all records and get rid of the scroll bar the freeze up will happen every time I make a selection with the mouse.  This does not happen if I select a record using only the arrow keys.
This does not happen for me. AS you can see from the attached screen shot the main screen of KA is small and the the scroll bar is showing.
I clicked on a record and the program operated just fine.
(refer screen shot)
I am not doubting you at all, but am baffled why this happens on your computer. Can you tell me what version of KA, and what operating system you are using.
I have v4.45 and windows xp pro

LOSING WALLPAPER. Wallpaper is lost when Action is changed from Pop Up Note to any other Action checkbox; reselecting Pop Up Note does not return the wallpaper setting and the wallpaper has to be manually re found.  On the other hand, Play Sound (under Option) also removes the sound setting but it does correctly return when the Play Sound box is re-checked; Wallpaper needs to do the same.
I can replicate the problem and will fix it asap

HIGHLIGHT JUMPS AROUND.  Highlight any record on the main Kirby screen changes for no apparent reason when the highlighted record is opened by double-clicking on it and then closing the Modify Alarm screen with the Post button.  This does not happen if any other button (such as Cancel) is selected.  This is most annoying as the highlight jumps all over the place when I am making a lot of changes to individual records.
What it is doing is refreshing the data from the beginning. Unfortunately the position of the highlight bar is lost. I understand how frustrating this would be and will try and fix it

RECORDS JUMP AROUND.  Highlight any record on the main Kirby screen jumps all over the place for no apparent reason when the highlighted record is Tested.  The highlight does stay on the selected record but the whole record jumps around.  This is most annoying as the records are jumping all over the place when I am making a lot of changes and test to individual records.
This does not happen for me

IRRITATIONS?
WINDOW SIZE LOST.  Main window does not remember last size used when the computer is re-booted.

COLUMN WIDTH?s LOST.  Main window does not remember last column width?s used when the computer is re-booted.
This does not happen for me.
The column widths etc are stored in and ini file in the kirby alarm pro folder.
I wonder if something else is preventing the settings being written to the ini file.

NEW ADDITION REQUEST?
ADD ICONS and SMALL JPEG?s.  Want the use of icons and small JPEG?s (for general identification and people?s faces).  This is not to replace wallpaper but to be located in let?s say the top left corner of a pop up.
Hmm, this might be a tough one to do. I will need to think about it.

TURN OFF UNUSED COLUMNS.  Want to be able to turn off un-used columns on the main Kirby screen to save space (width).
ADD ADDITIONAL COLUMNS.  Want to be able to add additional columns on the main Kirby screen for more information about how each record is set up.
There is already an option to select the format of the displayed columns. Right click on the main screen and select "list formats". You can then untick the columns the don't want.

You can also change the order of the columns by dragging and dropping a column on the main screen.
With regard to adding columns, what extra info did you have in mind please?

COUNTDOWN TIMER?s.  Want to see the addition of Countdown Timers; I often have need for up to three countdown timers running at the same time.
This has been on my to do list for a while now.
For the time being about all I can suggest is to use the "Quick Alarm" option.
(refer screen shot)

GLOBAL SETTINGS.  There needs to be a Global Settings tab for Preferences so the user can make most changes globally.  I have had to manually go through my list of 40 some reminders one by one to make the same changes to each.  This has happened way too many times.  More global settings would make these changes much easier and less time consuming.
I am a bit confused about this. Can you give an example please?

Ian Smiley

* 2.jpg (110.57 KB, 661x416 - viewed 340 times.)

* quickalarm.jpg (76.57 KB, 657x503 - viewed 350 times.)
DocLotus

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 02:46:00 AM »

WOW; This is GREAT

Can you tell me what version of KA, and what operating system you are using.
Same exact version and Windows setup as yours.

Doc

* KAP Version.jpg (88.92 KB, 666x525 - viewed 356 times.)
DocLotus

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 02:47:42 AM »

Wallpaper
I can replicate the problem and will fix it asap
A GREAT BIG THANKS.

Doc
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 02:59:25 AM »

Are you using windows xp pro as well?
DocLotus

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 03:04:01 AM »

Records Jumping Around See the Coffee Front Office (it is currently highlighted).

When I right click and select Test, Coffee Front Office will jump to where ANNIVERSARY... Rick & Debi Bender (20-Feb-1968) is located. ?This happens very fast and then it returns back where it started so if you have a very fast computer (I do not) you may very well miss it altogether.

Thanks;
Doc

* Record Jumping Around.jpg (116.12 KB, 800x606 - viewed 353 times.)
DocLotus

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 03:06:26 AM »

Are you using windows xp pro as well?
Yes, XP Pro but with SP3 (maybe the problem?)

Doc
DocLotus

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 03:09:42 AM »

RRITATIONS…
WINDOW SIZE LOST.? Main window does not remember last size used when the computer is re-booted.

COLUMN WIDTH’s LOST.? Main window does not remember last column width’s used when the computer is re-booted.
This does not happen for me.
The column widths etc are stored in and ini file in the kirby alarm pro folder.
I wonder if something else is preventing the settings being written to the ini file.
Strange.

I have noticed that the last time I booted up the column widths were a little better than before but the window size was still shrunk and I had to manually resize it again.

Doc
DocLotus

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 03:20:14 AM »

NEW ADDITION REQUEST…
ADD ICONS and SMALL JPEG’s.  Want the use of icons and small JPEG’s (for general identification and people’s faces).  This is not to replace wallpaper but to be located in let’s say the top left corner of a pop up.
Hmm, this might be a tough one to do. I will need to think about it.
Here is something to think about.  I have for over 15 years used Central Point's PC Tools Scheduler and KAP is the first SchedulerReminder that could ever replace it.  The main thing that is missing is the icons.

Thanks;
Doc

* PC Tools Scheduler Icons 01.jpg (61.94 KB, 572x244 - viewed 302 times.)

* PC Tools Scheduler Icons 02.jpg (59.24 KB, 555x271 - viewed 363 times.)
DocLotus

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 03:21:01 AM »

MORE

* PC Tools Scheduler Icons 03.jpg (24.63 KB, 370x190 - viewed 291 times.)

* PC Tools Scheduler Icons 04.jpg (49.07 KB, 372x354 - viewed 355 times.)

* PC Tools Scheduler Icons 05.jpg (15.85 KB, 455x97 - viewed 297 times.)
DocLotus

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 03:42:51 AM »

TURN OFF UNUSED COLUMNS.? Want to be able to turn off un-used columns on the main Kirby screen to save space (width).
ADD ADDITIONAL COLUMNS.? Want to be able to add additional columns on the main Kirby screen for more information about how each record is set up.
There is already an option to select the format of the displayed columns. Right click on the main screen and select "list formats". You can then untick the columns the don't want.
That is what it is for.? I had seen it but did not get past the List Format Setup/List Formats/Sort Order1.

Selecting Change is a little flaky, I have to click on a check box many times before it takes, the same thing happens when un-checking a box.? Most programs allow a simple right click on the column headings and the selections come right up without having to go through several boxes.? I think this could be a little more intuitive.? Once you know how to use it is kind of OK but could be better.

You can also change the order of the columns by dragging and dropping a column on the main screen.
With regard to adding columns, what extra info did you have in mind please?
I was thinking about possibly items such as where the Wallpaper is located similar to how the Sound file location is currently showing as a column.? Possibly some of the more common settings to help to quickly see if all settings are correct would be nice.? It is much easier to see an incorrect setting when they are all in a column than it is to manually go through each Modify Alarm screens.

Doc
DocLotus

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 03:50:28 AM »

COUNTDOWN TIMER’s.? Want to see the addition of Countdown Timers; I often have need for up to three countdown timers running at the same time.
This has been on my to do list for a while now.
For the time being about all I can suggest is to use the "Quick Alarm" option.
(refer screen shot)
Fantastic That would be GREAT.

I have been using the Quick Alarms and it does work.

It would be very nice indeed if I could create a new alarm and with all the bells and whistles of the current reminders but simple check Count Down as an option; that way I could permanently save several times and different text on each count down.? That would be wonderful.

Doc .
DocLotus

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 04:09:25 AM »

GLOBAL SETTINGS.? ?There needs to be a Global Settings tab for Preferences so the user can make most changes globally.? I have had to manually go through my list of 40 some reminders one by one to make the same changes to each.? This has happened way too many times.? More global settings would make these changes much easier and less time consuming.
I am a bit confused about this. Can you give an example please?
What has happened to me on several occasions when I was coping all of my reminder data from PC Tools Scheduler to KAP is something like this.

I found that none of the pop ups stayed on the screen for more than 1 or 2 seconds.? I discovered that Auto Snooze Pop Up Note were all set for 0 minutes.? I had to manually reset each and every one to 120 minutes.? I may very well have do this again as I want all reminders to stay on the screen until I Dismiss it.? One Global setting for this would be a Godsend.? The same thing also happened for Centering the Wallpaper; I had to do each one at a time; a real drag and time waster.? Ditto for Play Sounds and Background Color.

Preferences, Pop Up Notes and New Alarms simply do not have enough global or default settings.

These new Global settings should also be able to globally change the selected settings for ALL alarms so if a user wants to make a global change to all alarms it could be a very simple thing to do instead of having to manually change each and every alarm.

Doc
DocLotus

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 12:25:34 AM »

BUGS…
CPU FREEZE UP.? Major Bug… Clicking the mouse on the main Kirby screen causes the computer to freeze up as Kirby takes all available CPU cycles; it stays like this for one minute of more before freeing up the CPU.? If I do not first manually re-size the main Kirby window to include all records and get rid of the scroll bar the freeze up will happen every time I make a selection with the mouse.? This does not happen if I select a record using only the arrow keys.

This does not happen for me. AS you can see from the attached screen shot the main screen of KA is small and the the scroll bar is showing.
I clicked on a record and the program operated just fine.
(refer screen shot)
I am not doubting you at all, but am baffled why this happens on your computer. Can you tell me what version of KA, and what operating system you are using.
I have v4.45 and windows xp pro
Some more information on the high CPU usage when mousing over Kirby after boot up.

I tired changing the Win DPI back to 96 to see if it may be the cause; same exact problem.? If I do not manually re-size the main screen to get rid of the scroll bars, Kirby will take all available CPU cycles (I have seen it as high as 87 percent).? I managed to capture a screen shoot of this happening with Process Explorer in the background (Hi CPU Usage when Scrolling with Mouse.jpg).? Notice that Kirby is using 74.67 percent of CPU cycles.? This will stay like that for about one minute until if frees up.? It is very repeatable as every time I move the mouse Kirby will freeze the CPU.

The next shot (Screen Sizing at Win Startup - Locks up CPU.jpg) is of Kirby just after Windows boot up; notice how the columns have not auto-sized at all and how the text in the right column is cut off.? This screen will always lock up the CPU.

The last screen shot (Screen Manually Re- sized - Does Not Lock up CPU.jpg) is of Kirby manually re-sized; this one will not lock up the CPU when moving the mouse over it.

Ian, I am running Win XP Pro with SP3; I am wondering if SP3 may have something to do with this problem?

Thanks;
Doc

* Hi CPU Usage when Scrolling with Mouse.jpg (124.81 KB, 918x628 - viewed 342 times.)
DocLotus

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 12:28:39 AM »

Next Shoot

* Screen Manually Re- sized - Does Not Lock up CPU.jpg (121.59 KB, 800x750 - viewed 324 times.)
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: