Kirby Software Forum
January 23, 2018, 03:43:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Moved to new web hosting company

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: "Restart" doesn't work  (Read 14035 times)
jroc117

« on: February 21, 2008, 06:19:28 PM »

New user.  KA works fine except for the "restart" option.  I have it set to restart my computer each day at 7:00 a.m. but nothing happens.  Any suggestions?
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 11:57:42 PM »

Hi

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.
I only got back from holidays a couple of days ago and things have been very hectic.

The lite version does not allow some of the more advanced options. This includes the restart option.
(During the 30 day free trial all functions of the program are fully operational)
So what am wondering is, if you created the alarm during the 30 day free trial, and then only purchased the lite version, then that would explain why the restart is not working)
(For the benefit of others that maybe reading this post, when you create an alarm for the advanced options during the 30 day free trial, a warning message does come up that you need the pro version)

Can you please tell me which version of Kirby Alarm you are using?

Kind regards
Ian

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 12:02:05 AM by Ian Cook » Logged
jroc117

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 12:09:17 AM »

I'm using Kirby Alarm Pro, version 4.44 and I can't recall whether I entered that alarm during the 30 day free trial.  If I did, however, and subsequently bought the pro version before the trial expired, then it should work, correct?  I look forward to hearing from you, and thank you.
Jim
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 12:26:41 AM »

Hi Jim

Yep, During the 30 day free trial the program is fully operational.
ie the restart option should be working.

Hmm, now I am baffled why it is not working on your machine.

These are just a few random thoughts..

• Do you have administrative rights?
  • What version of windows are you using?
  • Are you able to try kirby alarm on another computer and see if the restart works?
  • Does the normal windows restart option work ok?

Ian

Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 12:29:14 AM »

The other thing to may be try is the beta of the next version of kirby alarm version 4.45
Would you be able to try it for me please?

To install it..

(1) Exit kirby alarm by right clicking on the tray icon and selecting exit
(2) Download and unzip the file from www.kirbyfooty.com/kabetav4_45.zip into the kirby alarm pro program folder (normally c:program fileskirby alarm pro) (Make sure you overwrite all files please)
(3) restart kirby alarm
jroc117

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 04:28:55 PM »

Hi Jim

Yep, During the 30 day free trial the program is fully operational.
ie the restart option should be working.

Hmm, now I am baffled why it is not working on your machine.

These are just a few random thoughts..

• Do you have administrative rights?
  • What version of windows are you using?
  • Are you able to try kirby alarm on another computer and see if the restart works?
  • Does the normal windows restart option work ok?

I have administrative rights.
I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium
Don't have another computer to test this with.
Normal windows restart works fine.
I'm willing to try the beta version in your other post as long as I won't lose the alarms I already have set.  Will the beta keep my alarms intact?

Jim

Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 11:28:54 PM »

I'm willing to try the beta version in your other post as long as I won't lose the alarms I already have set.  Will the beta keep my alarms intact?
Absolutely
jroc117

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 03:32:49 PM »

Ok, I completely uninstalled 4.44, downloaded the beta 4.45 and set a daily restart to begin tomorrow.  We'll see what happens.  Thanks.
Jim
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 03:51:13 PM »

Hi Jim

Ok, I completely uninstalled 4.44, downloaded the beta 4.45 and set a daily restart to begin tomorrow
Wait. There is NO need to uninstall the program. (In fact you may even create a problem if you do)

To install it..

(1) Exit kirby alarm by right clicking on the tray icon and selecting exit
(2) Download and unzip the file from www.kirbyfooty.com/kabetav4_45.zip into the kirby alarm pro program folder (normally c:program fileskirby alarm pro) (Make sure you overwrite all files please)
(3) restart kirby alarm
jroc117

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 04:02:05 PM »

Oops, too late.? I wrote that I'd uninstalled after I'd already done so.? What might I expect by way of a problem?
Jim
jroc117

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 11:10:19 PM »

Oops, too late.? I wrote that I'd uninstalled after I'd already done so.? What might I expect by way of a problem?
Jim

My bad.? You were right, I screwed something up and now the program doesn't work at all.? Fortunately I didn't have many reminders to lose.? My suggestion is to uninstall completely and re-download 4.44 and re-enter my reminders.? What do you think?
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 11:55:51 PM »

No worries.

This is what I would do..

• Download and reinstall kirby alarm pro
  • Unless you manually deleted the file, your old alarms file (alarms.tps) should still be there
  • Ensure kirby alarm pro v4.44 is working ok.
  • Exit kirby alarm
  • Make a backup of the kirby alarm pro folder (be careful you backup the correct folder because vista creates a separate "programs folder" for each user)
  • Download and unzip the file from www.kirbyfooty.com/kabetav4_45.zip into the kirby alarm pro program folder (normally c:program fileskirby alarm pro) (Make sure you overwrite all files please)
  • Restart kirby alarm

Good luck!

jroc117

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 04:32:01 PM »

4.44 is working now and I've saved a backup copy of the Kirby Alarm Pro folder, however when it comes to downloading the beta I have a question.? "Make sure you overwrite all files" is where I got in trouble last time because I thought I had to delete them.? Does installing the beta overwrite the files or is there something I have to do manually.? Thanks.
Jim
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 11:55:32 PM »

Sorry for any confusion.

There is no need to delete anything.

All I was trying to emphasis was that the program you are using to unzip the beta does overwrite the file(s) if it already exists.
Sometimes people make the mistake of answering "NO" to overwrite, when they should be answering "YES" to overwrite.

Ian Smiley
jroc117

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 04:39:19 PM »

Ok, the beta 4.45 is installed and working with a daily restart scheduled, beginning tomorrow.  We'll see what happens, and thanks.
Jim
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: