Kirby Software Forum
April 25, 2018, 09:55:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Moved to new web hosting company

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: KA stopped working  (Read 3140 times)
Alessia

« on: November 30, 2007, 01:15:45 PM »

I have a problem with my AVG firewall and in attempting to resolve it AVG support told me it may be conflicting with one of three Symantec applications in the Symantec Shared directory. As I don't use any Symantec products other than Disk Doctor they told me to delete all 3. As soon as I did that KA popped up some kind of error message which I cannot remember the contents of. It then closed.

I rebooted the PC to see if KA would return as I have it running as a service. It did and I thought all was well except that all alarm entries I have inserted display in the program itself but do not work. That is to say they do not popup a message and they do not send me an email as they used to. In other words, the program no longer works.

The firewall still has KA set to Allow so I doubt it's that. Ian, can you tell me which, if any, of the Symantec Shared apps KA is dependent on please? The ones I deleted are ccEvtMgr.exe, ccSetMgr.exe, and SNDSrvc.exe.
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 02:07:59 AM »

The firewall still has KA set to Allow so I doubt it's that. Ian, can you tell me which, if any, of the Symantec Shared apps KA is dependent on please?
Kirby Alarm does not rely on any other programs, except windows of course.
All of the files KA uses are located in the kirby alarm pro folder. No where else.

I suggest you uninstall and reinstall KA.
  • exit kirby alarm (right click on the tray icon and select exit)
  • make a copy of the kirby alarm pro folder to a cd or thumb drive
  • run the add/remove programs to uninstall KA
  • delete the kirby alarm pro folder
  • reboot your computer
  • reinstall ka

Then, please test KA to confirm the alarms pop up etc.

You can recover your old alarms etc by simply copying the files that have TPS as the extension from your backup to the ka folder.
You will need to exit KA first otherwise windows will complain the file(s) are in use.

If KA then stops working again, then the next possibility is that something could have corrupted the data files.
If so, then send the TPS files to me to see if they can be recovered. (Please only send them to me AFTER you have confirmed it was working before recovering the original files)

Good luck!

Ian Smiley
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 04:17:57 AM by Ian Cook » Logged
Alessia

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 03:12:21 PM »

I uninstalled it, rebooted, and then reinstalled it. I then recovered the TPS files from the backup. All alarms were intact. I then installed it as service and added a popup alarm for 1 minute later. It did not work.

I uninstalled it again, rebooted, then reinstalled it, but this time I did not run it as a service. Having recovered the TPS files from the backup, I then added a popup alarm for 2 minutes later. Again, nothing happened.

It won't even remove past alarms.

I don't know what to do now...

Edit: I cannot register it either because the serial you sent me was only valid for 30 days. I can send you a copy of my receipt if you don't remember me purchasing.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 03:30:06 PM by Alessia » Logged
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 01:46:44 AM »

Did you test it BEFORE recovering the tps files?
I want to establish if the problem is with the data and not the program

Thanks
Ian
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 02:05:31 AM by Ian Cook » Logged
Alessia

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 08:46:14 PM »

Yes I did but it was no good, I got the same result. I got so upset with the fact that it would no longer accept my registration that I restored my system to a TrueImage clone taken in October. In theory, it should work again now but 2 things are worrying me. The first being that old alarms were still in the list even though they are set to auto-delete when the date has expired. The other is that I have lost all my current alarms. I thought they were in the TPS files which were replaced when I copied the entire KirbyAlarmPro folder back from my backup. It seems they were not stored there. Do you know where they are normally stored please Ian?
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 12:03:47 AM »

Yes I did but it was no good, I got the same result.
This at least proves then that it not the data files.
It sounds like there is something very strange going on with your computer.
Have you run a complete virus scan?

I got so upset with the fact that it would no longer accept my registration that I restored my system to a TrueImage clone taken in October. In theory, it should work again
So does it work now?

2 things are worrying me.

The first being that old alarms were still in the list even though they are set to auto-delete when the date has expired
Let me get this right.. You restored an old copy of KA so naturally the old alarms will be there.
Were the old alarms set to skip missed alarms?
If NOT set to skip missed alarms then each of the old alarms will be executed and then be deleted.
If each alarm WAS set to skip the missed alarms then they WILL be deleted.

The other is that I have lost all my current alarms. I thought they were in the TPS files which were replaced when I copied the entire KirbyAlarmPro folder back from my backup. It seems they were not stored there. Do you know where they are normally stored please Ian?
They ARE in the TPS files. The main file is ALARMS.TPS.
Is is possible you did not backed up/restored the correct folder?

Alessia

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 10:29:20 AM »

Yes it is working.
Yes the Skipped Missed Alarms option was checked by default as I have it set up to do that in Preferences.
Yes the backup was the correct date as you can see in this screenshot:
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: