Kirby Software Forum
January 21, 2018, 06:21:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Moved to new web hosting company

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Access denied - using read only  (Read 2386 times)
Charlie

« on: November 20, 2007, 04:02:50 PM »

Once in a while, KA Pro 4.44 as a service will not start correctly. I get error message 5, Accessed Denied, Running Read-Only. This happens for BACKUP and ALARMS during startup. After I click on these message boxes, KAP starts and works. But if I then try to edit or add an alarm, I get the same message for RECTYPES, but without the read-only notation.

I've checked my Windows 2000 for security on these three files in the KAP folder. All are set for full control for me running as an administrator, which I do as the only user of this computer.

My working environment has many programs running, all accomplishing some specific function that I need and/or want. My suspicion is that the more-or-less random order in which these programs start is causing this KAP startup problem. But maybe not...

If I exit from KAP, the KAP service stops, as expected. When I restart it from the Services Manager, I get the error messages again.

All other parts of KAP work just fine. I just can't add or change any alarms on the KAP bad-start days! Kind of limiting.

What is the problem? Why does it occur only once in a while, maybe two or three days out of a week? What can I do to fix it?

Maybe I should remove the service and run KAP as a 'regular' program. Maybe I need to remove and reinstall KAP.

Your help is appreciated. Thanks.

...Charlie
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 04:12:22 PM »

Hi Charlie
I have never had these problems so it is very difficult for me to advise. Sorry.
I think uninstalling and reinstalling might be worth a try.

Ian Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: