Kirby Software Forum
January 23, 2018, 03:26:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Moved to new web hosting company

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Start with Windows  (Read 4713 times)
Alessia

« on: October 23, 2007, 12:59:04 PM »

Is there an option to start the program automatically with Windows? I'm afraid to use the service option because it is labeled as being for experts only. Perhaps I could just place a link to it in the startup folder?
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 02:59:11 PM »

Hi
I think I was probably a bit over cautious with the "experts only" thing.
Really it's not hard at all. For most people just click on the "Install & Start Service" button in the preferences section and you are done.

About the only thing to watch out for is if you have kirby alarm running as a service, then you you have to delete the shortcut to it in the  startup section of the windows menu. If you don't then you will get a message saying kirby alarm is already running.

Ian Smiley
Alessia

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 03:12:42 PM »

I placed a link to the program in the Startup folder. I think that should do the trick. If it doesn't, I will install it as a service.
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 03:19:31 PM »

I find running Kirby Alarm as a service a lot better. It has a lot of advantages.
The biggest advantage is it means Kirby Alarm is always running regardless if someone has logged in or not.

For instance, I get KA to reboot by computer at 11pm each night.
This ensures all the files are closed.
At 11:15pm I get KA to automatically use it's backup function to copy files/folders from one hard drive to another.
At 1:00am KA then transfers the important files to a remote computer using it's built in ftp function.

That way I automatically have a local and offsite backup each night. (all done with kirby alarms own functions. You don't need any other third party programs)

Ian Smiley
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 03:32:13 PM by Ian Cook » Logged
Alessia

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 04:01:47 PM »

I find running Kirby Alarm as a service a lot better. It has a lot of advantages.
The biggest advantage is it means Kirby Alarm is always running regardless if someone has logged in or not.

I have not added a password as I am the only person using my laptop. Can I assume being logged in is not an issue in this case? If not, is there still any advantage to me installing it as a service?

For instance, I get KA to reboot by computer at 11pm each night.
This ensures all the files are closed.
At 11:15pm I get KA to automatically use it's backup function to copy files/folders from one hard drive to another.
At 1:00am KA then transfers the important files to a remote computer using it's built in ftp function.

That way I automatically have a local and offsite backup each night. (all done with kirby alarms own functions. You don't need any other third party programs)

Very slick functionality Ian! I'm impressed, even though at this moment I don't have a clue how to setup those tasks and I'm not clear on the use of wildcards. 
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 05:07:47 PM »

I have not added a password as I am the only person using my laptop. Can I assume being logged in is not an issue in this case? If not, is there still any advantage to me installing it as a service?
When you turn your computer on, does windows go straight to the desktop, or do you have to click on the username and it then loads the desktop etc.

If the latter, then kirby alarm won't be started until the user desktop is started UNLESS you are running it as a service
Alessia

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 05:17:03 PM »

When you turn your computer on, does windows go straight to the desktop, or do you have to click on the username and it then loads the desktop etc.

If the latter, then kirby alarm won't be started until the user desktop is started UNLESS you are running it as a service

I have to click on the user name and enter my password. But does it matter if it doesn't run until the desktop is loaded? I ask because if it isn't I can't use KAP in any event, or am I missing something?
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 12:08:15 AM »

I have to click on the user name and enter my password. But does it matter if it doesn't run until the desktop is loaded? I ask because if it isn't I can't use KAP in any event, or am I missing something?
Sorry if I have confused you.

The point I was trying to make is if you do NOT run kirby as a service, then the jobs will not be run until you login to windows.
(I have attached a screen shot of the windows login screen I am referring to)

BUT

If you DO run kirby alarm as a service then the jobs WILL be run even though you have not logged into windows.

I hope that makes sense.

Ian

* 1.jpg (31.81 KB, 345x264 - viewed 327 times.)
Alessia

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 01:45:12 PM »

Sorry if I seem a little dense here (I'm not blonde, I assure you!), but if the computer is not switched on how can KAP perform its tasks anyway?
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 02:49:07 PM »

You are right, if the computer is not on it cannot do anything.
The point I was trying to make though, is that if your computer in on, but not logged in, then KA will not be running UNLESS you are running it as a service.

Ian Smiley
Alessia

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 03:54:27 PM »

Ok, I get you now, only I don't see the point of having the computer switched on if you are not going to login. But there again, I never use hibernate mode so perhaps that's where running it as a service is of use. In any event, I installed it as a service last night and it runs fine. Wink
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 04:39:10 PM »

I leave my computer on all the time.
This is so I can KA to do the backups etc at night while I am asleep.

Ian
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: