Kirby Software Forum
January 23, 2018, 03:39:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Moved to new web hosting company

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wish list for email notifications  (Read 3766 times)
Alessia

« on: October 23, 2007, 12:50:13 PM »

Hi Ian, having just purchased KAP v4.44 I find it relatively simple to use although I'm not sure why running it as a service is reserved for experts? I will leave that option alone for now.

I just wanted to let you know that the reason I bought your program was to replace an online agenda I have been using from a company called QT-Pro. It's actually just one of the options in their autoresponder service but there is nothing like it available anywhere else. Your program is the closest but still misses many of the features I'm used to. These are:

1. View appointments/tasks in either daily, weekly, or monthly windows.
2. Send emails in plain text or HTML.
3. Each time you enter a name and address to send to, with a single click, you can store that address for future use. You can then simply click on the "Stored addresses" link and select the person from the list. His/her address is automatically entered. KAP almost has such functionality but requires you to manually enter the address into your contacts first.
4. You can enter the name of the person in addition to his email address. KAP only allows for the address (unless you first add him to your contacts).
5. You can have the mail sent on recurring dates which is ideal for mailing out birthday greetings, or as in the case of QT-Pro, a Flash card. I think KAP has the option to send an email on recurring dates but, as far as I can see, it does not allow you to send on the same date each year, nor does it allow you to send on Fridays only (Friday just being an example).
6. You can have it send a web page or Flash animation.
7. You can import a list of people to whom you want the message sent to. (For me, this is paramount because I have to notify our staff of their weekly rotas).

The most important in the above are 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7, but 5 would be great also.

If you would like to see what the interface of the QT-Pro agenda looks like I can take some screenshots and mail them to you.

Another item I would like to see added is the option to test the sounds before applying them. You can't tell what it sounds like just by seeing its file name.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 03:20:30 PM by Alessia » Logged
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 03:15:47 PM »

Thanks for the great suggestions

1. View appointments/tasks in either daily, weekly, or monthly windows.
Yep, that would be nice. A number of people have asked for it.

2. Send emails in plain text or HTML.
That would be good too.

3. Each time you enter a name and address to send to you can store that address for future use. You can then simply click on the "Stored addresses" link and select the person from the list. His/her address is automatically entered.
Have you tried clicking on the small button "..." next to the email address?
It brings up the contact screen.
You can then select the contact and the email address is automatically passed back.
If you then select another contact, the next email address is automatically appended to the first email address.

4. You can enter the name of the person as well as his email address. KAP only allows for the address.
Have you had a look at the contacts screen yet? It has the person's name, address, phone numbers etc

5. You can have the mail sent on recurring dates which is ideal for mailing out birthday greetings, or as in the case of QT-Pro, a Flash card.
Umm, perhaps I am missing something here, but wouldn't you just set up an alarm (with the action set to email) to repeat each year on the persons birthday.
The flash card could be attached to the email.

6. You can have it send a web page or Flash animation.
As you know, the way the email currently is, is you can only send text messages. For the time being the web page, or flash animation would have to be an attachment.

7. You can import a list of people to whom you want the message sent to. (For me, this is paramount because I have to notify our staff of their weekly rotas).
Why not set up an alarm (email) with the list of people, BUT have the next alarm date to say 31 December 2700.
That way the alarm will never be executed, BUT it could be used as a template to copy from each week when you send the the roster.
OR if the list of people is standard have a weekly alarm/email and have the roster attached as a text file.

If you would like to see what the interface of the QT-Pro agenda looks like I can take some screen shots and mail them to you.
I'm always open to new ideas and want to make Kirby Alarm the best it can be.
By all means, some screenshots would be great please.

Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 03:23:39 PM »

Oops, I left out one your points.

Another item I would like to see added is the option to test the sounds before applying them. You can't tell what it sounds like just by seeing its file name.
Umm, you can. Just click on the play button.
You can even set the volume for each alarm.

* 1.jpg (6.84 KB, 371x51 - viewed 239 times.)
Alessia

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 03:45:06 PM »

Have you tried clicking on the small button "..." next to the email address?
It brings up the contact screen.
You can then select the contact and the email address is automatically passed back.
If you then select another contact, the next email address is automatically appended to the first email address.

Yes, I found that after posting here. Please look at my original post, you will see I have modified it with extra related comments.
The problem with your suggestion is that the program does not offer mail merge options therefore, everyone receives the same reminder without it being personalised.

Of course, QT-Pro is a database driven program so unless you can build in database functionality it may not be possible to add that. That said, there are stand alone autoresponder programs available for Windows PC's that run with databases. As long as your program can connect to an Excel workbook or comma delimited file I would have thought KAP could do the same.

4. Have you had a look at the contacts screen yet? It has the person's name, address, phone numbers etc

Yes but we come back to the lack of mail merge functionality. Even without it, I was rather thinking about a one-click option to add someone to the contacts screen.

5. Umm, perhaps I am missing something here, but wouldn't you just set up an alarm (with the action set to email) to repeat each year on the persons birthday.
The flash card could be attached to the email.

No, the card is in swf format so it has to be stored on a server and its code embedded in the HTML mail to display when the card is opened.

6. As you know, the way the email currently is, is you can only send text messages. For the time being the web page, or flash animation would have to be an attachment.

Quite, but that would change if you added HTML as an option. Not everyones' mail program is configured to read HTML (aka rich text) so the ideal would be to use multipart MIME headers allowing for both ASCII and HTML to be combined in the same mail. That way, if the recipient's mail client is set to read HTML he will see the full colour version. If not, the plain text message will be displayed.

7. Why not set up an alarm (email) with the list of people, BUT have the next alarm date to say 31 December 2700.
That way the alarm will never be executed, BUT it could be used as a template to copy from each week when you send the the roster.
OR if the list of people is standard have a weekly alarm/email and have the roster attached as a text file.

The attachment idea could be a temporary workaround. The non-personalisation of the mail remains an issue though.

By all means, some screenshots would be great please.

Do you want me to send them to your email address or attach them here?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 04:06:01 PM by Alessia » Logged
Alessia

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 04:10:52 PM »

Actually, I was referring to Tools > Preferences > New Alarms > Sound File:
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 12:18:59 AM »

Boy, with so many points this thread is getting a but confusing.

7. Why not set up an alarm (email) with the list of people, BUT have the next alarm date to say 31 December 2700.

The attachment idea could be a temporary workaround. The non-personalization of the mail remains an issue though.
I see what you are getting at, but using kirby alarm as a kind of personalized mail service is outside the scope of kirby alarm right now.
All things are possible, so if it really is an issue then I could rush through a change for you. My hourly rate is $75US

Actually, I was referring to Tools > Preferences > New Alarms > Sound File:
Thanks for the clarification
Alessia

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 01:56:55 PM »

All things are possible, so if it really is an issue then I could rush through a change for you. My hourly rate is $75US

It's a wish list Ian. I'm merely trying to provide suggestions that will assist you to develop your program into the best in its category as well as breach into the territory of other programs not claiming to be alarms ...in this case a personal low level broadcast mail service. If you wish to add such functionality to your program at your cost then I doubt anyone will complain and I am sure it could increase your sales, but I'm not going to pay you to make your program better.

Incidentally, if you are going to add merge token functionality bear in mind that the surrounding brackets need to be symbols found on ALL keyboards and they cannot be common brackets that people would normally use in their text, such as ( ). Even [ ] can be tricky at times. QT-Pro uses the vertical upright, for example: |firstname|.
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 12:34:41 AM »

It's a wish list Ian. I'm merely trying to provide suggestions that will assist you to develop your program into the best in its category as well as breach into the territory of other programs not claiming to be alarms ...in this case a personal low level broadcast mail service. If you wish to add such functionality to your program at your cost then I doubt anyone will complain and I am sure it could increase your sales, but I'm not going to pay you to make your program better.

The attachment idea could be a temporary workaround. The non-personalisation of the mail remains an issue though.

I understood is was basically a wish list, but you said in an earlier post that this one was an issue for you.
I simply gave you an option to change the program in a hurry if it REALLY was an issue.

Alessia

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 08:28:56 AM »

I understood is was basically a wish list, but you said in an earlier post that this one was an issue for you.
I simply gave you an option to change the program in a hurry if it REALLY was an issue.

Point taken. It is an issue for me but in the short term I can mail on a one by one basis.
If your program offers such functionality in the next couple of months, great! If not, I will purchase a copy of Autoresponse Plus.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: