Kirby Software Forum
November 19, 2017, 03:59:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Moved to new web hosting company

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is KA 5.01 compatible with Windows 10  (Read 2231 times)
rcglfr

« on: September 01, 2015, 02:45:01 AM »

Thinking of upgrading to Windows 10, is my KA going to work OK?
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 11:56:42 PM »

I suspect so, but I do not have windows 10 yet.
Other developers have not reported any problems running their applications on windows 10, so I am not anticipating any problems either.

I will be upgrading to windows 10 this weekend so can let you know in a few days.

Ian  Smiley
rcglfr

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 02:42:46 AM »

OK, will check back in a few days. Thanks for the response.
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 01:41:28 AM »

Sorry, but could not update my computers to windows 10.
Silly thing kept on failing or rejected the windows serial number.
Drove me crazy!

As I said, I suspect Kirby Alarm WILL run ok on windows 10, but have not personally tried it... yet.

Ian  Smiley

rcglfr

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 02:12:20 AM »

OK, thanks for the update. I am going to wait until I find out for sure if KA will work ok with 10. Don't want to upgrade and then find I can't use my KA, I depend on it a lot.
rcglfr

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 08:55:45 PM »

Were you ever able to install windows 10?

Also, why don't I find alarms.tbs file when I open KA. Stilll trying to move my alarms from one computer to another, never have been able to do so after months of trying?
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 01:18:34 AM »

No, sorry still have not updated to windows 10.

Also, why don't I find alarms.tbs file when I open KA.
Probably just a typo, but the file name is alarms.tps (not alarms.tbs)
Have you tried using windows search facility to find where the file is located?

Stilll trying to move my alarms from one computer to another, never have been able to do so after months of trying
It should be easy as all the files kirby uses are located in the one folder where the program runs from.
Why don't we arrange a time for me to remotely connect to your computer using Team Viewer so I can help you.
I can even phone you (on a landline) so we can discuss what I am doing.
Send me an email with your details so we can arrange a suitable time and exchange details.

Smiley

RockFox

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 02:04:46 AM »

Thinking of upgrading to Windows 10, is my KA going to work OK?

I have been running Windows 10 Pro for about 6 months and KA runs fine, just as it did in Windows 7 and 8.1.  I'm very happy with Win10.

/RockFox at Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania USA
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 08:45:17 AM »

I finally have windows 10. What took you so long I hear you say Smiley

Here is a link to a short video showing the installation process and then setting up a sample alarm.
http://screencast.com/t/ZCVhdOgJF
This is for version 4.45.
Version 5.01 works just fine too.

I recommend changing the installation folder to c:\kirby alarm pro. It keeps things much simpler.

I have also attached screen shot showing the version of windows 10.

Ian  Smiley

* 1.jpg (85.56 KB, 980x436 - viewed 201 times.)
RockFox

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 05:54:54 PM »

I finally have windows 10. What took you so long I hear you say Smiley

I recommend changing the installation folder to c:\kirby alarm pro. It keeps things much simpler.

Ian  Smiley

The reason Ian suggests this alternate location is that the KA installation defaults to Program Files for everything, including the KA data files like ALARMS.TPS.  Since Windows 7 it has been illegal for a program to write to the Program Files directory.  So what Windows does in this case is to move the data files to the C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Kirby Alarm Pro folder. This works okay but the problem is that most users would be hard pressed to find this folder AND if you run Windows File History this folder never gets backed up.

If you follow Ian's suggestion then all of KA's files will stay together in that folder.  But File History will not backup that folder unless you add it to the Quick Access list.

My Suggestion is that the KA installation ask where you wish to store the data files with a default of C:\Users\%username%\Documents\Kirby Alarm Pro .  Then the data files would automatically be included in the File History.

RockFox

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 01:24:52 PM »

I just upgraded to Windows 10 version 1703 aka "Creators Update"

After the update was complete I shutdown normally.  When I rebooted Kirby Alarm was not running and there was no KA icon in the system tray but "Kirby Alarm Pro (32 bit)" was in the Task Manager"  So I did an "end task" and started KA manually from File Explorer.  Now KA came up normally.  So I did a Windows restart and this time KA came up as usual.  I have no idea of why it didn't start on the first boot after the upgrade.

Alessia

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 09:04:45 AM »

On a new PC that came with Win 10 Pro, I tried reinstalling Kirby Alarm Pro. It was not a success at first but eventually using the compatibility setting for Win 7 I got it almost running perfectly by installing to C:\Program Files (x86). In fact everything runs as it should other than start with Windows.

There's a link in the StartUp folder but it still requires manual starting. Like I say, other than that it runs almost perfectly, the "almost" being related to my screen resolution of 3840*2160 which even with a 200% dpi scale-up makes KAP's interface look a little odd but I can live with that.
EugeneTo

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 05:42:43 PM »

Thanks for the heads up. I'm a bit hesitant of upgrading to Win 10, not just because of Kirby. I'm just glad it's working as it's one less thing I'll have to worry about when I eventually do switch.
Ian Cook
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 01:15:46 AM »

Hi Eugene

I find windows 10 to be very stable, however I still have trouble navigating the new menu style.
To overcome this I installed Classic Shell. (http://www.classicshell.net/)
This wonderful piece of software took away all my frustration of finding things in windows 10 Smiley
Best of all.. it's free!

Ian Smiley

PS. Before upgrading to windows 10 I recommend you ensure your printers etc are windows 10 compatible.
I had to replace mine because there was not a windows 10 driver for it.
Alessia

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 03:04:55 PM »

Agreed, Classic Shell is a must. I should add WinAero Tweaker is another if you want Windows 10 to run like Win 7, and again it's free. Here's a list of what it offers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: